Think about the moisture and the bacteria that builds up in a mask as we wear it. You are talking, your saliva has been going into the mask, your sweat from your face has been going into the mask… You don’t want to wear that same mask again the next day. And what exactly is that doing to my skin?
Mask acne, or “Maskne” is most likely to occur if you wear your mask for extended amounts of time without proper care. Masks trap the moisture, the sweat, the oils, and dirt right on to our face, clogging your pores. Even breathing into your mask can cause bacteria to form on the fabric. All of this can lead to acne, small bumps, pseudofolliculitis, inflamed hair follicles, irritation, pressure sores, broken blood vessels, contact dermatitis.
Dermatologists recommend using a gentle cleanser, applying a moisturizer that creates a barrier, wearing little or no makeup, and exfoliating regularly.
Keep your face clean and keep your mask clean! This is why we say:
TREAT YOUR MASK LIKE YOUR UNDERWEAR
- ALWAYS WEAR IT IN PUBLIC
- MAKE SURE IT COVERS THE IMPORTANT PARTS
- DO NOT TOUCH IT OR ADJUST IT IN PUBLIC
- DO NOT SHARE IT WITH OTHERS
- WEAR THE CORRECT SIDE OUT AND UP
- IF IT HAS HOLES, THROW IT OUT
- SOME OF US MAY HAVE TO WRITE OUR NAMES ON IT
- MAKE SURE IT IS TIGHT, BUT COMFORTABLE
- CHANGE IT DAILY
- IF IT IS MADE OF CLOTH, WASH AND DRY IT THOROUGHLY BEFORE REUSE
CARE AND HANDLING OF CLOTH MASKS
- CLEAN YOUR HANDS BEFORE AND AFTER TOUCHING YOUR MASK. THIS MEANS PUTTING ON, ADJUSTING, AND TAKING IT OFF. AVOID CROSS-CONTAMINATION.
- WEAR IT CORRECTLY. COVER BOTH THE MOUTH AND NOSE. MAKE SURE THE OUTSIDE IS OUT AND THE PROPER DIRECTION IS UP. YOU MAY NEED TO MARK YOUR MASK TO MAKE THIS IDENTIFICATION EASIER.
- STORE YOUR MASK IN A CLEAN PLACE. A PLASTIC BAG IS RECOMMENDED FOR WHEN STORING OR TRANSPORTING OUTSIDE OF THE HOME. NEVER PUT YOUR MASK UNPROTECTED IN A POCKET OR PURSE. HANGING YOUR MASK FROM THE REARVIEW MIRROR IS ALSO A BAD IDEA, SINCE IT CAN BLOCK YOUR FIELD OF VISION AND CAUSE AN ACCIDENT.
- WASH AND DRY IT PROPERLY. PUTTING IT IN A GARMENT BAG IS A GOOD WAY TO AVOID SNAGS IN THE LAUNDRY.